Rock Reach House is a steel house featuring polished concrete floors and large amounts of glass. The only wood in the entire structure is in the custom cabinets and the interior doors.
The all-electric home includes a large array of photovoltaic panels on the roof of a two-car carport that create nearly as much electricity as the house uses (a connection to the grid means the house is never without power).
It is a small home (1,000 square feet) that lives large. Sliding glass doors in all rooms bring the outside in -- making the home feel much larger than it is. Private patios open off of each bedroom and a large front deck is accessed from the living room and the kitchen. Each of the two identical-size bedrooms features a California king bed.
Furnishings are simple, sleek and modern. The fully equipped kitchen features high-end appliances. Wireless wi-fi is available throughout the house and satellite TV service is in the living room. An apartment-size stacked washer-dryer is available for quick clean ups.
A heating and air conditioning system is augmented by ceiling fans in each bedroom.
Outside find a large fireplace with free firewood provided. There is a Jacuzzi-brand hot tub nestled in a private cove of rocks with long views across miles of open desert. A large galvanized outdoor stock tank (our cowboy tub) is used in warm months for cool dips. An outdoor shower is on the large, private deck that is accessed via a door from the indoor shower.
- Secluded four-person Jacuzzi-brand hot tub
- Cool dip “cowboy” tub
- Private outdoor shower (in addition to indoor shower)
- Outdoor fireplace (with free firewood)
- Yoga platform/ outdoor sleeping deck
- Picnic table
- Large steel deck with propane grill
- DirecTV service
- 60" HD TV with sound bar and powered subwoofer
- Stacked washer/dryer
- Two California king beds
- Two folding luggage racks
- Several flashlights
- Full kitchen with all new stainless steel appliances
- Stocked utensils, cookware and prep tools in the kitchen
- Stocked towels, hand soap and TP in the bathroom
- Various books and games in the living room
- Electric forced-air heating and cooling system
- Two-car carport
- Electric car charger
- View extra amenities list here
- Solar photovoltaic panels send excess electricity back into grid.
- Ceiling fans in bedrooms reduce need for air conditioning.
- Gray water system disposes of waste water from shower, bathroom sink and washing machine.
- On-site water well and holding tanks. House is not dependent upon municipal water agency.
- Micro FAST four-chamber septic system (including evaporation mound) for black water.
- High-performance “E²”double-pane windows and doors.
- Cabinets made with bamboo (Plyboo) fronts and FSC certified boxes.
- Only wood in house found in cabinets and interior doors and frames.
- No use of propane or natural gas in house.
- A seasonal stream flows uninterrupted under house.
- Minimal damage to land...home sits on six small footings.
- All steel used manufactured with up to 70 percent recycled steel.
- Factory fabrication of most elements meant dramatically less waste created.
- Waste created in factory immediately recycled.
- Prefabrication of elements meant far less site waste needing to be taken to landfill.
- Waste created during construction sorted and recycled.
- Rapid construction meant far fewer pickup truck trips to and from job site by workers.
- All materials in the home can be recycled.
- For more information visit: www.blueskybuildingsystems.com